Friday, May 9, 2014

Grandma Ferris' Aprons

Grandma Ferris’ Aprons - By Joan Hixson Tibbitts I never knew a day that my Grandma didn’t wear an apron. It was primarily worn to protect her dress, but the apron did so much more. It served as a pot holder for removing hot pans from the oven, and to wipe her brow when the kitchen was hot. In the summer grandma would sit in the shade of the carport and fan herself with the bottom of her apron. Her apron would carry eggs from the chicken coop, vegetables from the garden, and after the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls. Grandma had an apron for each day of the week; my favorite was the apron with a pocket hoping for something inside for me. I’ll never forget my grandma and her wonderful old-fashioned aprons. I’ll be wearing one of her aprons this year on Thanksgiving Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment